Friday, March 1, 2013

My Two things - again

I can't believe it's been a year already! And here it is again, Dr Seuss' birthday is tomorrow! I want to show you a project I did for the boys last year, originally posted on Budapest Moms.

Exactly a year ago today, P & I stood wondering

How did it get so late so soon?
Its night before its afternoon.

We sat there with P

We sat there, we two.
And I said, “How I wish
We had something to do!”
So all we could do was to
Sit!
Sit!
Sit!
Sit!
And we did not like it.
Not one little bit.
And then
Something went BUMP!
How that bump made us jump!
We looked!
Then we saw him step in on the mat!
We looked!
And we saw him!
The Cat in the Hat!



The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, more places you’ll go.




So we read…but this was still not the project I needed so badly to do for Dr Seuss Day.


Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!


I could always print out the Cat in the Hat and stick it to P’s T-Shirt, but I am not too fond of cartoon characters on clothing, or anything else to be honest. I am more for subtly pointing out the obvious.


I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”


And really, my troubles were all gone when The Cat said:


  I will pick up the hook.
 You will see something new.
Two things. And I call them
Thing One and Thing Two.
These Things will not bite you.
They want to have fun.
Then, out of the box
Came Thing Two and Thing One!



Original illustration from The Cat in the Hat



And immediately it hit me. I have two boys. It is late. I need a project, and I need something easy, fast and funny.


From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere.


So after they went to bed, I made these:





I created a template in Picnik  but Picnik is gone now, so you can try using Ipiccy to create printables from scratch. Picnic didn't have that possibility and my background turned a bit greyish, so if you use my downloads be aware of that.






I printed them on iron-on paper. Don’t forget to print it in mirror image, otherwise it will be backwards, which can also be fun sometimes…
After that I only had to iron it on a white T-shirt and a onesie I had for the boys. It is really important to do the ironing on a stable surface, so you can press the iron as hard as you can. The harder you press it, the better the result will be. An ironing board is not the best choice, although I did this on an ironing board yesterday.
And here they are, on Dr. Seuss’s birthday. My Two Things 





Will you try this?

If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment